Courtroom Security Responsibilities
The Court Security staff is responsible for maintaining order and proper decorum in all courts. The Albemarle County Deputies assigned to Court Services are responsible for inmate transportation and courtroom security. Our Court Security Staff is also responsible for assisting the public.
In order to maintain a safe and secure environment, all persons and parcels entering the courts are subject to search. Cell phones are prohibited beyond the security screening desks at Albemarle County Juvenile & Domestic Relations Court. Cell Phones are allowed in Albemarle County General District Court and Albemarle County Circuit Court but only in the completely turned-off position.
Prohibited Items in all Albemarle County Courthouses:
Other Unauthorized Items Include:
- Possession of firearms within all Albemarle County Courthouses is limited to the Court Deputies and Law Enforcement Officers only.
- Law Enforcement Officers entering court for personal matters (i.e., custody, civil or criminal case) are prohibited from entering the courthouse with weapons.
- The general public is prohibited from entering all Albemarle County Courthouses with weapons or items considered to be weapons including, but not limited to: Knives, Box Cutters, Cutting Tools, Scissors, Needles, Nail Files or Clippers, Chemical Agents, Firearms, and Tasers.
The Albemarle County Court Security Staff is not authorized to store any materials for persons entering the court areas.
- Cameras of any kind.
- Video Cameras of any kind.
- Recording Devices of any kind.
- Food and Beverages are not allowed in any Albemarle County Court.
J. E. "Chip" Harding
Albemarle Sheriff's Office
411 E. High Street Bldg B
Charlottesville, Va 22902