"It is the Reserve Division’s unselfish commitment to this community that enables my office to contribute so many valued services at little to no cost to the tax payer”
The Reserve Division not only provides a much-needed service to our community, but also saves the taxpayers of Albemarle County over $600,000 annually in the process.
The Reserve Division is...
- A volunteer organization of dedicated and trained citizens who support and assist the operations and duties of the Sheriff's Office.
- An opportunity to be trained for and to engage in law enforcement on a professional basis.
- An opportunity to serve your community by assisting in providing needed and important law enforcement services.
- An opportunity to consider law enforcement work as a career.
- An opportunity for those persons who are interested in law enforcement work but not as a career.
- To learn more about any of our programs, join the Reserves or become a non-sworn volunteer assisting directly with a program visit our web site, send me an e-mail or give me a call. Our programs are funded through private contributions and your financial assistance is welcome. Please Contact Sheriff “Chip” Harding
- To invigorate your spirit of adventure or obtain additional information about this opportunity, please contact the Sheriff’s Office through the “Contact Us” section of this website.
What Reserve Deputies do
Reserve Deputy Requirements
- Court security assistance
- Prisoner transportation assistance
- Civil process
- Official presence at special events
- Child identification program technician
- Crime prevention and community relations support
- Administrative and support functions as needed
- Traffic direction
- Game Enforcement
- Crowd control assistance
- Search and Rescue
- Project Lifesaver
- Senior TRIAD Safety Initiatives
- At least 21 years of age
- Meet the same standards as if applying for a full-time paid deputy position.
- H.S. Diploma or G.E.D.
- Valid driver’s license
- No criminal record
- Good character
- Good health
- Citizen of the United States
2018 Reserve Deputy application can be found here